- A new book by Colin Mountford, 'Rope & Chain Haulage: The Forgotten Element of Railway History. Published by The Industrial Railway Society, 2013.
- 'A Fighting Trade: Rail Transport in Tyne Coal, 1600-1800' by G Bennett, E Clavering & A Rounding . 2 volumes published by Portcullis 1990.
- The website, 'Waggonways in North East England' which has maps showing each waggonway, tramway, mineral railway, railroad, colliery, coal pit, lead mine, fluorspar mine and quarry.
A northern branch of this waggonway served pits just east of Prudhoe and may have crossed the Stanley Burn on the old bridge now in woodland south of the main road.
Further south it ran to Dukehagg Farm. A branch ran west to Airey Hill Farm via an incline on Engine Lane near the Gliding Club, crossing the road between Hedley-on-the-Hill and Leadgate at Moss Plantation. Another branch to the south ran through Leadgate to Chopwell.
Small fragments of these old lines are still visible in many places and are also in parts followed by footpaths and by-ways.
Most of its route was used by the Scotswood, Newburn and Wylam Railway in 1875. However, in at least two places there are hints that the new double line was built alongside, rather than on top of the old waggonway. One of these places is the bed of the single track mineral line that ran just north and parallel to the main line at the former site of Heddon Station. It is now used for farm access.
Another is at Newburn, where the remains of a trackway, parallel to, and just north of the disused main line, crosses New Burn by a separate arched bridge.