In 1902, the Margaret Pit, situated at the foot of Station Road, and the last deep mine to be worked in the village, was bought by the Throckley Coal Co., and was worked until the early 1930's. After that it's reserves were accessed from the Isabella Pit at Throckley.
On 26th June 1902 an oak tree was planted for the coronation of Edward VII by Fenwick Charlton on the green at the top of Station Road . The 1901 Census showed he was born in 1851 (50 years old) and working as the Colliery Engineer at Heddon Margaret Pit.
The first power driven aircraft was flown by the Wright brothers on 17th December 1903. One of the casualties on our War Memorial would be killed in action serving in the Royal Flying Corps just a few years later.
In 1908, the Old Age Pension was introduced. In Heddon the Methodist Chapel was altered, creating a porch and schoolroom, and a forge was set up beside the Swan Inn, starting a small business that would run until 2011.