Document about site history by Tyne Valley Gun Club
Until 1949 the site was used as a printing works then for light engineering and thereafterwards for the storage of paper.
In 1962 the then Minister of Housing and Local Government confirmed a Discontinuance Order requiring the use of the land for general industrial purposes to be discontinued and required all buildings and works on the land to be removed.
Protracted negotiations took place regarding compensation payment, and in 1965 final settlement was agreed on the basis of a cleared site without industrial use but with the benefit of an alternative use as a single dwelling house.
Since 1949 a series of applications were made for planning permission for various uses and details of these applications and their determination are as follows:
- 1949 Drying and processing in respect of concrete block manufacture REFUSED
- 1953 Development of land for housing REFUSED
- 1959 Development of land as a caravan site REFUSED
- 1960 Use of old tile works for vehicle spraying REFUSED
- 1965 Establishment of Country Club REFUSED
- 1967 Conversion of former colliery winding house to dwelling REFUSED (& DISMISSED ON APPEAL)
- 1968 Mobile washing plant REFUSED
- 1974 An application was made by the Northumberland County Small-bore Rifle Association for the development of of an outdoor small-bore rifle range with future storage, changing and toilet facilities.
- undesirable sporadic development contrary to the established policy of preserving the open, undeveloped character of the area.
- associated noise and activity prejudices the amenities of nearby residents.
- increased use of a winding road with no adequate provision for turning or parking of vehicles prejudicial to road safety.
In September 1977, an application was received from the Tyne Valley Gun Club for the addition of two 25 metre pistol ranges. This application was considered by the Development Control Committee in October and approved subject to landscaping requirements, dates and times of shooting.
Owner of adjoining property submitted technical details in respect of provision of earth ramparts in an effort to baffle sound from the ranges. The Club were prepared to implement these reccommendations in full and this was done.
The application was further considered in January 1978 and deferred for a site visit to assess the problem of noise. On 2nd February approval was granted subject to revised shooting times.
On 27th April 1978, because of continual complaints from adjoining owners and in an effort to establish better public relations a further revision of the shooting times was approved in order to increase the 'quiet period' until the second Sunday in September.
An application by the Gun Club on 3rd July 1980 to extend shooting times into July was REFUSED.