His talk revolved around a Metro tour of Newcastle but was interspersed with historical information and personal anecdotes.
Christopher Wardale described how Wailes' produced windows often show particular colour combinations making them easily recognised.
A 7" diameter round window was made to Christopher Wardale's design in 1980 using medieval glass found in an archaeological dig at Jarrow by Professor Rosemary Cramp in 1973-74. More fragments of glass were found at Monkwearmouth nearby, which was a sister monastery of Jarrow, ruled by the same Abbot.
The Venerable Bede’s writings confirm that such glass was being fitted in the North-East monasteries from around 675 using craftsmen brought over from Gaul by the Abbot, Benedict Biscop.
Another window with a haloed figure was reconstructed from pieces of glass excavated from St Paul’s Church and was installed in the museum at Bede’s World.
Medieval glass - 6" roundel of Mary & Child set in clear glass high up in St Margaret's Chapel.
- Church of St John the Baptist, Westgate Road
Medieval fragments roughly assembled in the N chancel window but with some pictures.
For something a bit different -
- Civic Centre - former Rates Hall
- Church of St Nicholas, Gosforth
A highlight is four windows by LEONARD EVETTS, (1909-1997) a well known local designer, whose work is internationally recognised and admired. Leonard Evetts taught in the Fine Art Department of the University of Newcastle for many years.
N aisle above vestry door by L C Evetts ('Flight into Egypt') c.1952.
Notes by Christopher Wardale.
- St Alban's Church, Earsdon (20 mins walk from Metro Station)
In 1874 Lord Hastings of Delaval Hall presented two lancet windows he had obtained from Hampton Court Palace in 1840. They are believed to have been made originally by Galyon Hone, Henry VIII's Flemish Master Glazier, in 1531. Traces of Tudor crests and arms can be clearly seen and colours are bright. Slodges in the glass paint seen, for example, on the greyhound motif are a trademark feature. The windows were restored in 1958 by L C Evetts.
There is a memorial for the Hartley Pit Disaster NE of the church in the graveyard extension commemorating the 204 men and boys killed on 16th January 1862.
Two new stained glass windows, designed by Whitley Bay artist, Cate Watkinson, as a memorial for the killed, were installed in the church in 2013.
World Class Glass -
- St Luke's Church
'One of the finest windows north of the Alps'.
'Of exceptional high quality and having a far deeper glow and colour and a far more violent expression than by any other artists of that time anywhere else in the country.' (Nikolaus Pevsner).
'To see this Geddes is to recognise, like scales falling from the eyes, that nothing quite matches the highest quality stained glass for intensity of artistic experience. I stared at and absorbed it for a good ten minutes. Only a pesonal visit can suffice, photographs cannot convey the way it commands the whole interior.' (Mathew Saunders).
‘The greatest stained glass artist of our time’ (Times obituary 1955).
Wallsend Local History Society - Tower of Glass
Times Higher Education - Wilhelmina Geddes: Life and Work, by Nicola Gordon Bowe
Something to sit by -
- Seats in Grey Street
'A new and innovative use of glass in public spaces, particularly for seating, not seen before in city centres.'
- Metro Interchange Bus Station
'Created to reflect the diverse culture and history of Gateshead, the artwork incorporates a range of images including a bird, a musical instrument, and a bulkhead. Installed in Gateshead's public transport interchange between two bus-lanes, the sculpture acts as a safety barrier for the busy route whilst providing an interesting focal point for passengers in the bus queue.'
Brilliant Ideas Episode #7: Danny Lane