In 1951, these kilns were replaced by a 20-chamber Staffordshire transverse-arch kiln, and produced six million bricks per year. A tunnel kiln was built in 1965 and the works modernised by the Northern Brick Company.
The Throckley yard is the only survivor of a group of 26 brickworks that were owned by the National Coal Board in 1947. In 1973, Gibbons (Dudley) Ltd took over the remaining nine brickworks and by 1977 only Throckley and Cramlington were still working.
A brickworks at Newburn was in existence from the 1850s to 1965. The buildings were demolished in 1979 and is now occupied by a recycling plant on the Newburn to Walbottle Road.
The Throckley brickworks is now owned by Ibstock plc, registered in Ibstock Leicestershire.
The ovens were built by the Throckley Coal Company, formed in 1867 by Messrs. Stephenson, firebrick manufacturers and Messrs. Spencer, Newburn steel manufacturers, etc.
The sinking of the Isabella Colliery began in 1867 and the construction of the coke ovens in 1869. 22 ovens were built at a cost of £260, the embankment and necessary retaining walls for the attendant railway line costing a further £132. In 1875 a further 22 were constructed and in 1878 a disintegrator for crushing the coal was installed. In 1890 a further 20 ovens were added.
The ovens were constructed using bricks from Stephenson's brickworks and the main market for the coke was Spencer's Newburn Steel Works.
Tyne and Wear HER(1035): Newburn, Throckley Colliery, Isabella Coke Ovens
The remains of the dandy cart were photographed by Billy Embleton in 1966 when the brickworks was in NCB ownership. It is now at Beamish. There is a replica in the National Railway Museum.
He was in the habit of making grand donations to the city, having already provided Heaton, Elswick and Walker libraries and Methodist chapels in Throckley and Elswick.
The chapel was opened for public worship on May 21st 1877 by the Rev. Thomas Overton, superintendent minister of the Blenheim Street Circuit in Newcastle. Trustees at the opening of the church were: Charles John Stephenson, William Haswell Stephenson, Edward Richardson, William Harriman, Arthur Richardson, Thomas Barras Sambridge, Thomas Arthur Potts, Robert Bell, Utrick Alexander Ritson, James Stobert, Guy Murray, Robert Robson, William Kirton, Robert Haworth, John Charlton and William Shaw.
Sir William Haswell Stephenson's father, William Stephenson, was born at Earsdon in 1802. His mother was Elizabeth (nee Ward) Stephenson (born Edmondbyers 1805). The 1861 Census records William Stephenson as
'Farmer Of 1290 Acres (20 Lab And 6 Boys)'. This was down to 330 acres (8 men and 6 boys) in 1871. He died in 1876.
The Isabella Pit of Throckley Colliery was named for Isabella Jane Stephenson (b. Newburn 1840), the youngest daughter of William and Elizabeth of Throckley House.
I am not sure if the family were related at all to the Stephenson family living at Towne Farm in 1901.