William Ward Sanderson (1874-1963) was born at Dale House Farm near Whitby. He became interested in agricultural engineering and the pioneering use of steam engines for ploughing and threshing. After studying at Wye College, he had various jobs servicing and selling farm implements throughout the country and, for three years, in South Africa.
In 1927, William moved back to the north-east working for the Northern Agricultural Supply Company in Newcastle. He rented East Town Farm in Heddon on the Wall which was owned at the time by James Hedley of Bays Leap Farm. The family lived in the farmhouse and farmed successfully on the fields here, milking cows in a parlour (now part of Tulip's yard), cutting hay on the site of the Roman Wall and running a local shop selling cigarettes and confectionery.
William Sanderson served for many years on the Parish Council, including a stint as Chairman in 1949.