Heddon-on-the-Wall Local History Society
  • Home
  • Site search
  • Calendar
  • Introduction
  • Where are we?
  • History Map
  • Timeline
    • Prehistoric
    • AD43 to 1599
    • 1600 to 1799
    • 1800 to 1899
    • 1900 to 1999
    • 2000 to 2099
  • Heddon's History
    • Prehistory
    • Hadrian's Wall >
      • Vallum excavation (1893)
      • Hadrian's Wall excavation 1926
      • Wall ditch, Bays Leap (1958)
      • Hadrian’s Wall: Archaeological research by English Heritage 1976-2000
      • Throckley & Heddon entanglements
      • WallWatch
      • English Heritage (2020)
      • Wardell-Armstrong Archaeolgy Reports
      • Historic England Archives
    • Six townships >
      • 1 Heddon township >
        • Heddon in the Middle Ages
        • Common Land
        • Middle Marches
        • Tithe Award
        • St Andrew's Church >
          • Stained Glass Windows
          • Churchyard
          • Monuments of church & churchyard (1991)
          • Monuments Page 2
          • Vicars of Heddon
        • Village property
        • Heddon Hall >
          • Sale of Heddon Hall 2012
        • Heddon Banks Farm
        • Frenchman's Row
        • Methodist Church >
          • Heddon Methodist Church Centenary 1877-1977
        • Men's Institute
        • Women's Institute
        • Welfare Field
        • Knott Memorial Hall
        • Memorial Park
        • Schools
        • River Tyne
        • Coal Mining
        • Quarrying
        • Water Supplies
        • Transport
        • Waggonway & Railway
        • Occupations from 1800
        • Miscellaneous
      • 2 West Heddon township
      • 3 East Heddon township
      • 4 Houghton & Close House township >
        • Close House
      • 5 Eachwick township
      • 6 Whitchester township
    • Rudchester
  • People
    • Sir James Knott
    • Cadwallader J. Bates
    • Richard Burdon
    • Hugh Sinclair (Tim) Swann
    • George Clark
  • Old Photos
    • Postcards
    • Old photos 1
    • Old photos 2
    • Old photos 3
    • Old photos 4
    • Old photos 5
    • Old photos 6
    • Old Photos 7
  • Old News
    • Community News
    • Letter from the Emigrant Clergy of Frenchman's Row (1802)
    • Alleged Brutal Murder at Heddon-on-the-Wall (1876)
    • Sad boat accident at Ryton (1877)
    • Coronation tree (1902)
    • 65 Years on a Ferry Boat (1929)
    • Come claim your kiss at Heddon (1953)
    • The Swan (1972)
    • Heddon WI (1987)
    • Church House (1966)
    • Happy return (1993)
    • Hexham Courant (1997)
    • Butterfly Garden (1999)
    • Foot & Mouth (2001)
    • Remembrance Day (1996)
    • Remembrance Day (2016)
    • RAF at Ouston (2007)
    • Close House Golf Course (2009)
    • Heddon pupils celebrate British heritage (2011)
    • Roman Wall Forge (2011)
    • Diamond Jubilee (2012)
    • Auction of Bronze Statue, Close House (2012)
    • Heddon WI (2012)
    • Puffing Billy Festival (2013)
    • Heddon Village Show (2014)
    • View of the North (2014)
    • The Wall at Heddon (2014)
    • Heddon Village Show (2015)
    • War veterans singing send-off (September 2015)
    • Anglo-Saxon history (2014)
    • Heddon WI at 100 (2017)
    • Hadrian's Wall discovery (2019)
    • Tulip Mews (2020)
    • Mike Furlonger
    • Hadrian's Wall 1900 Festival
  • Memories
    • Olive White
    • Betty Cockburn
    • Betty Cockburn - miscellaneous information
    • Isabel Snowdon
    • William & Winnie Watson
    • Edith Ward
    • Mark Parker
    • Jack Lawson
    • Winnie Spoor
    • P Reay
    • Mr and Mrs Hall
    • Peter Chapman
    • Elizabeth Elenora Eames
    • Harry Murray
  • Other documents
    • Mackenzie (1825)
    • Bates (1886) >
      • Early & Roman
      • Townships
      • Heddon Church
      • Heddon & Houghton
      • Whitchester
      • Eachwick
      • West & East Heddon
      • Records
      • Addenda
      • Appendix A
    • History, Topography & Directory of Northumberland (Bulmer's) - 1886
    • History of Northumberland (1930)
    • Collingwood Bruce (1853)
    • Whellan (1855)
    • Post Office Directory (1879)
    • Prominent people in Heddon
    • Place names
    • Ad Murum
    • Archived documents
    • Thomas Bewick's History of British Birds (1826)
    • Census data 1801-1991
    • Historical Records 1888-1890
    • Knott Sale of Village Property (1924)
    • Extracts from Parish Council Records
    • Local colliery records
    • Blackburn (1938)
    • Clark (c.1963)
    • History of Church (1968)
    • Boundary Commission Report 1984
    • Village Atlas 2022
  • Walks
    • Walks 2
  • Blog
  • Contact us
  • Links
  • What's new
  • Past & Present
  • Photo of the Month
  • Place Name Studies
    • Meas & Meres
    • OS Name Books: Elsdon
    • OS Name Books: Allendale
    • OS Name Books: Cheviot Hills
    • OS Name Books: Other Parishes
  • Heddon 3D landscape

Catcleugh Reservoir

4/2/2026

0 Comments

 
Catcleugh Reservoir, Redesdale, Northumberland.

Catcleugh Reservoir was constructed between 1884 and 1905 in the upper valley of the River Rede for the Newcastle & Gateshead Water Company. The accompanying LIDAR images show the dam and associated works at the east end of the reservoir (stepped overflow, and outlet of tunnel for compensation water), and the shadowy remains of the hutted villages located both north and south of the river, east of the dam, which were used by the construction workers (navvies). Compare to the schematic plan of the dam area showing the line of the old and modern roads, and the several lines of the narrow-gauge railway used in the construction.

Northumberland National Park: Catcleugh Reservoir


YouTube: The History of Catcleugh Reservoir

Picture
LIDAR (DTM, 1m) copyright Environment Agency (2022) - enhanced for archaeology.
Picture
Schematic plan of the area of Catcleugh Dam - Northumberland National Park.
The last 'Black House' at Catcleugh Reservoir
"In time to come when navvies meet
Upon some distant job
They'll cast their mind
Back o'er the years
That time doth from us rob
And in a drop of prime old stuff
They'll talk upon the happy days
They had up at the 'Cleugh'"

From 'The Cleugh' by Billy Bell, Redesdale roadman and Border Bard (1904)

Narrow gauge railway from West Woodburn to Catcleugh

Picture
R W Rennison (1979) Water to Tyneside. Map 12.
Picture
Rough plan of the Catcleugh Reservoir narrow-gauge railway. A Curtis (2026).
Life on the line at Catcleugh by Brian Tilley. Hexham Courant, Friday 15th December 2006.

As happened at Kielder three quarters of a century later, a whole mini-village sprang up around the reservoir workings. There were two hutted communities on either side of the infant River Rede, which naturally came to be known as Newcastle and Gateshead, with all of the rivalry that those two names inspired. All told, there were more than 50 huts, some on the own, and others in blocks of two or four. But this was no rough and ready Auf Wiedersehen Pet-like bunkhouse community.

When construction was at its height in 1899, the community numbered more than 500, comprising of 331 men, 79 women and 94 children. There was a hospital, a doctors’ surgery, a post office, a canteen, a billiard room, a police station, a guild room to seat 50 people and a mission room to seat five times that number.

Perhaps surprisingly, given the number of children, there was not a school on site, but the older children were known to have attended school in Byrness.
When the men were not shifting the thousands of tonnes of earth and clay to dam the river, there was no time for idling. There was a full programme of activities at the guild room, including scripture union, night school, shorthand lessons, a girls’ social guild and a session with the Post Office Savings Bank.

A double set of stained glass windows in the tiny church of St. Francis, at nearby Byrness, is dedicated to “the glory of God, and in memory of those men, women and children who have died during the construction of the reservoir at Catcleugh”. The windows show workmen busy with buckets, spades and wheelbarrows, while in the background a little steam train is shown chugging along with a load of trucks dancing behind. This is surely the only example of such stained glass to include a narrow gauge steam railway. A bronze plate alongside this window, added in 1904, lists the names of all 64 fatalities.

While the reservoir stands as a lasting testament to the efforts of the navvies, little survives of this railway, which was once an important lifeline for the Rede Valley.

The narrow gauge railway

The 3 foot gauge narrow gauge railway ran all of the way from the reservoir to Woodford Bridge, near Colwell, connecting to the North British Railway's Wansbeck branch (known locally as The Wanney Line) at West Woodburn station. The railway pre-dated the reservoir, for it was used to transport much of the material used in the dam’s construction. Cement, coal and metal pipes were all brought to the site by rail - but the construction of the railway was in itself a major engineering exercise, with numerous burns and streams to be bridged or tunnelled beneath.

In the 12 months from January 1902 to January 1903, more than 35,000 tons of clay were hauled from Yatesfield to build the clay dam, along with another 14,000 tons of other building materials. It was possible that the railway was used to bring in one, or possibly two steam operated excavators, clanking and snorting machines which were used to lift material from the reservoir bed to help to build the dam. The use of such new-fangled devices did not go down well with the navvies, who famously went on strike for a spell, painting their spades with the slogan, “Tried and Not Found Wanting”.
Numerous locomotives were kept busy on the line and each was given its own local name. Among the names were Otterburn, Heugh, Catcleugh, Brigg, Woodburn, Ramshope, Byrness, Rede, Bruckless, Minnie, Whittle, Hallington, Matfen and Pont, and many of these worked on for many years after the reservoir’s construction.

Otterburn went on to work on the construction of Fontburn Reservoir near Rothbury, and thence to Blaxter Quarry near Otterburn, where it was still in active service as late as 1947 - but its name had been changed to Ottercops.

Byrness was purchased by William Benson and Son and it saw out its life working at the Fourstones limestone quarry.

The other locomotives could be found working as far as Dublin, North Wales and on the Isle of Skye.
During their life in the Upper Rede Valley, however, the little locos provided a much appreciated means of transport in the days when the present A68 road into Scotland was little more than a muddy track.
There were children’s outings along the line, and for general travel there was a tiny saloon carriage, with three windows on each side and open-ended balconies.
Passengers could travel all of the way to West Woodburn, and then change trains to go on towards Newcastle upon Tyne.
What remains at the construction site today
A single-storey wooden cabin, built circa 1891 to house some of the workers, still stands below the dam. It escaped demolition after construction work finished, being retained in use as an office and tool store, and is the last surviving example of the two shanty towns, 'Newcastle' and 'Gateshead' which faced each other across the Rede.

The seven-roomed cabin was restored in the early 1990s and is now used as the reservoir’s visitor centre, with displays depicting living and working conditions, including period interiors and furnishings, original tools and company records.


South Tynedale Railway Preservation Society: Link


Picture
Hudswell Clarke locomotive, No. 148, named 'Otterburn' in use in 1900 at the Catcleugh reservoir construction project in Northumberland. Facebook post by Billy Embleton on the Industrial Locomotive Enthusiasts page, 13th June 2022.
‘Amid the Hills of Redesdale’ is a community radio play written and directed by Rachel Cochrane. The radio play was funded by The National Lottery Heritage Fund as part of the £2.8m Revitalising Redesdale Landscape Partnership scheme.
Link to YouTube

0 Comments

Your comment will be posted after it is approved.


Leave a Reply.

    RSS Feed

    Author

    Andy Curtis

    Archives

    June 2026
    May 2026
    April 2026
    March 2026
    February 2026
    January 2026
    October 2025
    August 2025
    July 2025
    May 2025
    November 2024
    July 2024
    June 2024
    May 2024
    April 2024
    March 2024
    January 2024
    November 2023
    February 2023
    November 2022
    September 2022
    August 2022
    June 2022
    May 2022
    January 2022
    December 2021
    November 2021
    September 2021
    August 2021
    June 2021
    May 2021
    October 2020
    June 2020
    May 2020
    March 2020
    November 2019
    August 2019
    July 2019
    March 2019
    January 2019
    November 2018
    October 2018
    August 2018
    July 2018
    June 2018
    April 2018
    March 2018
    January 2018
    October 2017
    September 2017
    July 2017
    June 2017
    May 2017
    April 2017
    March 2017
    February 2017
    January 2017
    December 2016
    November 2016
    September 2016
    August 2016
    July 2016
    June 2016
    May 2016
    April 2016
    February 2016
    January 2016
    December 2015
    October 2015
    September 2015
    August 2015
    July 2015
    June 2015
    May 2015
    April 2015
    March 2015
    February 2015
    January 2015
    December 2014
    November 2014
    September 2014
    August 2014
    July 2014
    June 2014
    May 2014
    April 2014
    March 2014
    February 2014
    January 2014
    December 2013
    October 2013
    September 2013
    August 2013
    July 2013
    June 2013
    May 2013
    April 2013
    March 2013
    February 2013
    January 2013
    December 2012
    November 2012
    October 2012
    September 2012
    August 2012
    July 2012
    June 2012
    May 2012
    April 2012
    March 2012
    December 2011
    November 2011
    October 2011
    September 2011
    August 2011
    June 2011
    May 2011
    April 2011
    March 2011
    February 2011


    Categories

    All
    Aerial Photography
    Agricultural Engineering
    Archaeology
    Barrow
    Bays Leap
    Beamish Museum
    Beer
    Beer-mat
    Berwick
    Bewcastle
    Books
    Border Line
    Brewery
    Brown
    Cabinetmaker
    Castle
    Charlton
    Cheviots
    Churches
    Civil War
    Clennell Street
    Close House
    Coal Mining
    Cullercoats
    Cumbria
    Dmv
    Durham
    Eachwick
    Earl Grey
    Elswick
    Family History
    Fishing
    Fishwives
    Folkestone Warren
    Forth Banks
    Furniture
    Gardens
    General
    Geology
    George Clark
    Gibson
    Goods Station
    Hadrian's Wall
    Harbours
    Heddon
    Heddon Hall
    Hexham
    Hidden Chains
    Hillfort
    Horsley
    Houghton
    Howick Hall
    Hunting
    Iron Sign
    Isaac Jackson
    John Grundy
    John Smith
    Knott
    Lake-district
    Landscape
    Landslide
    Lead Works
    Lemington
    Lidar
    Lindisfarne
    Maritime
    Meetings
    Military Road
    Mill
    Monument
    Newburn
    Newcastle
    Newcastle Assizes
    News
    North Lodge
    North Shields
    Northumberland
    Northumberland Records Office
    Old Middleton
    Oral History
    Ouseburn
    Outings
    Photography
    Pit
    Place Names
    Place-names
    Ponteland
    Ports
    Postcards
    Prehistory
    Pubs
    Quarries
    Railways
    Redesdale
    River Tyne
    Rman
    Rock Art
    Roman
    Sadler
    Sanderson
    Schools
    Seaton Delaval
    Ships
    Shot Tower
    Slave Trade
    Songs/Poems
    Spearman
    Stagecoach
    Stained Glass
    St. Andrews
    Stephenson
    Swann
    Tea Robbery
    Throckley
    Town Farm
    Transportation
    Trinity House
    Tyne & Wear
    Victorian Panorama
    Walbottle
    Walk
    Water Supply
    William Brown
    Williamson
    Woodhorn
    Ww1
    Ww2
    Wylam
    Yetholm

Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates.