Further steam engine pumps were provided in 1886 and 1894 and operated until 1918 when electrically driven centrifugal pumps were installed. These were uprated in 1950 and used until 1976 when they were replaced by works constructed at Ovingham, 0.5 miles upriver.
New pumps were installed later within the old buildings which pump drinking water from the Horsley Treatment Works to the area south of the river.
The ropeway was constructed with 10 lattice-steel towers some 28 feet high, giving a clearance of 40 feet above river level, with a maximum span of 160 yeads. It was in place by 1903.
A terminal on the south bank was built to connect with a branch of the North Eastern Railway from a location just south of the junction at Hagg Bank. Two of the ten concrete piers used to span the river can still be seen, one on the south bank close to the path in Ovingham Riverside Park, and the other in the river close to the north bank.